Sunday 18 May 2008

Paniyiri

I went along to Paniyiri today. It was absolutely perfect weather for wandering around, snacking on delicious Greek food and downing a few glasses of Greek wine/beer/ouzo.


There seemed to be loads of people there today with the same idea as me. I'm always amazed at just how much food they cook at Paniyiri. It must be a massive exercise.

Anyway I had a serve of the grilled octopus (great), halloumi (moreish as usual) and a couple of scoops of ice cream (which isn't that authentic, but it was a warm day). Between our friends we also munched through a souvlaki, calamari and some Greek yoghurt.


I watched a couple of heats of the olive eating competition. Eating 13 olives in a minute doesn't sound that tough, but try doing it with your hands behind your back.


Anyway it was good to see so many people supporting this great festival. Hopefully it will keep getting better every year. If you missed it, make sure you get along next year.

No comments: