Sunday, 4 May 2008

Croque Monsieur at Belle Epoque

I've already done a post about Belle Epoque at Emporium.

Recently we were looking for a spot of dessert in the Valley, and ended up at Belle Epoque after deciding that the queue at Freestyle Tout was way too long. My crême brulée ($13) on this visit was a bit disappointing. Although it tasted great, it was missing the crunchy top. Like Amelie, one of my favourite food experiences is cracking through the top of a crême brulée and this one let me down.

Anyway, the whole reason for this post is their croque monsieur, a classic French dish. One of my friends ordered it, and when it came out it looked amazing. To call this a baked ham and cheese sandwich with fries just doesn't do it justice. Although it's definitely not gluten free (so I couldn't even have a nibble) it looked like the most perfect late night snack you could ever imagine. It was served on a long plate with a good serve of fries and even a bit of salad. Pretty good value at only $14.

If you find yourself wandering around the Valley, hungry, but not sure exactly what you need, wander into Belle Epoque and order yourself a croque monsieur. Your stomach will be eternally thankful.

Belle Epoque
Emporium
1000 Ann Street
Fortitude Valley 4006
P - 07 3852 1500
E - info@labelleepoque.com.au
W - http://labelleepoque.com.au/index.html

1 comment:

Private Chef said...

I have just stumbled upon your blog. I love the clean design and fantastic photos. I am a blogger myself and always thought that design was key and you have certainly captured that! There are so many food blogs out there these days and being different to all the others is key. I have just started www.ifoods.tv which is a website for chefs, foodies and food bloggers to hand out, share recipes, photos and videos. When i was blogging I always thought i should be getting more traffic as my blog was getting lost in the masses of stuff out there so my new site is aimed at giving food bloggers and chefs a bigger platform! Hope you enjoy it and keep up the good writing and design here! I have now bookmarked you so will be regular reader, Cheers!