Saturday 21 June 2008

Euro 2008 - Sweden

Unfortunately Sweden are now out of the tournament, after losing to Russia in their last group game. I was really hoping that the Swedes would do well, to give the great Henrik Larsson a memorable finale (if you don't know who Henrik Larsson is, here is a great video of his goals). But it wasn't to be. The Swedes will now have to focus on qualifiying for the next World Cup in South Africa.

It took a bit of hunting, but there are a couple of places in and around Brisbane where you can try out Swedish food. One such place is 670 Cafe Bar at Corinda. I haven't been able to find a copy of its menu online, but it seems to serve up a mix of Scandinavian and Mediterranean food. You can read what The Courier Mail had to say about 670 Cafe Bar here.

Another place to track down Swedish fare is at the Scandinavian Bakery Cafe at Springwood. I've had trouble finding out too much about the Scandinavian Bakery Cafe, but it seems that the bakery does serve cafe food as well, including Swedish meatballs. It's a bit of a hike from my place, but I'll have to poke my head in next time I'm down Springwood way.

And I know Ikea is known for its furniture, but they also sell Swedish food. There is a small selection of hot food in their restaurant (like Swedish meatballs) but the Swedish Food Market is much more interesting. Every time I go to Ikea I always spend about 15 minutes checking out crazy Swedish food you never see anywhere else. If you need some herring, lingonberry preserve, whitefish roe or crispbreads to console yourself after Sweden's early exit from Euro 2008, drive down to Ikea and fill your car up with food, rather than furniture.

670 Cafe Bar
Shop 5, 670 Oxley Rd
Corinda 4075
P - 07 3278 2993

Scandinavian Bakery Cafe
Shop 9 , Springwood Plaza
3-15 Dennis Road
Springwood 4127
P - 07 3208 1067

Ikea Swedish Food Market
Ikea Logan
3539-3565 Pacific Highway
Slacks Creek 4127
P - 07 3380 6800

3 comments:

Natascha Mirosch said...

I never really rated Swedish food, but I remember having this dish call Janssens tempation that involved anchovies? and potatoes that was just fantastic. I wonder if, given the growing number of Swedish students on the Gold Coast if there might be somewhere there they go to eat?

Natascha

food bling, Brisbane said...

I found a post from the Bond Uni Swedish Students Association, who shopped at Ikea for their Swedish food supplies. Looks like there's a hole in the restaurant market for any Swedish entrepreneurs out there.

Anonymous said...

If you love decadent pastries, you must try the Scandinavian Bakery Cafe.

Sure, it's a little out of the way, but is super close to IKEA, so you can hit two birds with one stone.

They have got lots of Christmas biscuits and pastries to try, as well as their superb pies (one type, called "Piroshki" are my favourite).

The danishes, almond cakes and ginger biscuits are well worth the trip too.

:-)