Saturday 15 August 2009

Balnaves Wine Dinner

Yes I know this is yet another post about wine. But there are so many good wine dinners on at the moment, it would be mean of me not to tell you about them.

If you trundle along to the Coonawarra roadshow on Monday night and wake up the next morning suffering from Coonawarra withdrawal symptoms, then Baguette has the perfect dinner for you. They're holding a Balnaves Wine Dinner on Tuesday night, hosted by Peter Bissell, Balnaves' winemaker. Here are the wine & food matches for the night:

Confit trout and curd cheese on parmesan shortbread with Cattier Champagne
Seared scallops, jerusalem artichoke veloute with Balnaves Chardonnay 2008
Veal loin, mushroom & tarragon tartlet with Balnaves Shiraz 2005
Beef fillet bearnaise, sauteed spinach with The Tally Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 and Balnaves Cabernet Sauvignon 2007
Chocolate tart with white chocolate sorbet with Balnaves Sparkling Red 2007


The vinous highlight of the night will of course be the 2006 The Tally Cabernet, which is fast becoming one of Australia's top red wines. On the food front, the chocolate tart sounds like my kind of dessert. Best of all is the price - $90 inclusive of food and wine. As far as I'm concerned, that is an absolute bargain, when you consider the standard of food and wine on offer.

Balnaves Wine Dinner
Tuesday 18 August 2009, 6.30pm for 7pm
Baguette
150 Racecourse Road
Ascot 4007
Bookings through Vintage Cellars at Ascot - 07 3868 2421

5 comments:

Jeremy Pringle said...

Even though it's way too young, that 2006 Tally is sensational. And that's one of the reasons I won't be able to make it to the dinner, despite it being extremely good value. I have no Tally's of any vintage in my cellar! It must be rectified :)

food bling, Brisbane said...

I don't have any Tallys either (unfortunately). If the Tassie tasting last week is anything to go by, I don't think I'll make this dinner - after the Coonawarra roadshow on Monday night I think I'll be taking it easy on Tuesday. It's amazing value for dinner & wine at Baguette though.

Chris Plummer said...

Believe it or nor I actually travelled to Brisbane for the Coonawarra Roadshow last year, at a place called Vino if I'm correct.

A great night it was indeed, but one of the real highlights would have to of been Doug Balnaves, a real charmer, very down to earth and friendly. I recall he gave me and my partner about 5 pours of that 2006 Tally each - the last few were his idea!

food bling, Brisbane said...

Chris I was lucky enough to try the 07 Tally tonight. And none other than Doug Balnaves was pouring it - one of the highlights of the night.

Anonymous said...

Jeremy, so a reason you weren't able to make it is because the Tally is sensational?