Wednesday 28 October 2009

Bittersweet Chocolate

For years and years Hot Chocolate at Paddington was my favourite place to buy chocolates in Brisbane. Many a weekend afternoon we would wander in there, take about 10 minutes to decide what chocolates to buy and then leave with big smiles on our faces, knowing that they'd be lucky to last a couple of hours at home (one of my friends would eat hers in the car on the way home).

So I was very disappointed to find out that Hot Chocolate had closed. That was until I found out that Ann Atkinson, the owner, had opened a new chocolate store at The Barracks, called Bittersweet.

Its taken me months to actually pop in for a chocolate fix, but I dropped in recently. It's only a small shop, just next door to Coles, but once you step inside the door you are surrounded by chocolate. Not only that, but you'll be overwhelmed by the amazing aromas of high quality chocolate.

Getting in the store is the easy part - then you have to decide on what to buy. I stuck with two of my past favourites - a white chocolate macadamia cluster and a macadamia caramel (and yes I do like macadamias). Branching out a little, I also picked up a champagne truffle, mainly because it looked delicious. Although I do love the macadamia chocolates, I have to admit that when it came to eating them, the champagne truffle was an amazingly decadent ball of chocolate.

My wife picked out a dark chocolate ginger disc, orange & coconut truffle and a dark chocolate truffle - out of those three the dark chocolate truffle was the winner by a nose.

All up there are 60 different flavours, including ginger & benedictine truffles, whipped cream snails and kumquat clusters. You can buy chocolates in boxes of 4, 8, 12, 24, 48 and 96 (if you're really in need of a chocolate fix). Otherwise you can select as many as you like for $15 per 100 grams.

If you haven't been to Bittersweet, you're missing out on some fantastic hand made chocolates. As you've probably guessed, I'll definitely be back.

Bittersweet
Tenancy 8, The Barracks
61 Petrie Terrace
Paddington 4064
P - 07 3367 3323
E - info@bittersweetchocolate.com.au
W - http://www.bittersweetchocolate.com.au/

7 comments:

www.eatdrinktoronto.net said...

YUM. I just emailed my partner with the link and "WE.ARE.GOING.HERE."

Cameo said...

Yes, the day Hot Chocolate closed was a sad day indeed, *but* Bittersweet has all the truffles the previous incarnation had, just in a smaller space.

I do wish they would introduce some cafe items though – I maintain their double chocolate shakes were the best around (and I have been to Belgium).

:-)

Charity said...

oh wow i've never been - even to the barracks! sounds awesome! i'm the biggest chocolate addict ever!!!

food bling, Brisbane said...

Ally hope you like it as much as I do.

Ally said...

Finally went there last month and it is fantastic! So well priced too.

food bling, Brisbane said...

Cameo - who needs cafe items when you have such good chocolate? :)

I know what you mean though - I do miss the old place.

food bling, Brisbane said...

restaurantgroupie - hope you've made the trip - it's worth it!

Ally - glad you liked it. Think I'll pop in this weekend to pick up a much needed GOOD chocolate fix.